Monday, August 6, 2007

a Record Weekend

Bonds hit his 755th. A-Rod hit his 500th. and Tom Glavine won his 300th.

does it just defy plausibility to claim that I care most about the last one not because it's a Met that achieved it, but because it's a pitcher who achieved it? Plausible or not I believe it to be true, because lovely though it is to see such a celebration in a Mets uniform, I am sure that if you woke Tom Glavine in the middle of the night and said "Quick! What team do you play for?" He'd blink and say "the Atlanta Braves."

don't get me wrong. I'm thrilled to have Glavine in the Mets clubhouse. he's apparently the world's best teammate, a real leader in the clubhouse, a real teacher of young pitchers. this is the second reason that I am most impressed by Glavine. Bonds and A-Rod have not exactly contributed positively to their clubhouses over the years, but Glavine is universally lauded as the quintessential clubhouse guy. I know he means a lot to the rest of the team, and in truth, watching all of his teammates congratulate him out on the field when it was over brought actual tears to my eyes. it's just that I know Tom Glavine is much more a professional pitcher than he is a Met.

again, don't get me wrong-- my favorite thing in the game is good pitching, and Glavine is a master. this gets to my third reason for being more impressed with Tom than I am with Bonds or A-Rod. I just enjoy watching good pitching more than I enjoy watching home runs.

speaking of watching, the fourth reason I like Glavine's record more than the other two is the grace and humility with which he achieves the milestone. A-Rod stood in the batter's box and stared at his 500th homer until it was sure to be out. It would be hard to specify the statement of hubris that Bonds* displays which annoys me the most, but suffice it to say there are plenty. Glavine is proud of himself, as well he should be, but he is not impressed with himself. The same cannot be said of the other two.

*I can't decide whether I want to devote a whole post to Bonds. I'm mulling it.

No comments: