Friday, June 15, 2007

boiling blood

check out this article, titled "Father-child bond central to baseball," subtitled "Ballplayers, fans alike have shared the game with dad," on MLB.com. go ahead. please. and try very hard to find even a single reference to a father sharing the game with his daughter, or a mother sharing the game with her child of either sex.

no, don't bother. you won't find one.

apparently, MLB hasn't noticed the number of fans who are women, or doesn't understand how we got to be fans and how we intend to bond with our own children over baseball. I post on a general interest women's message board, and there are more than a dozen regular contributors to a thread about MLB. all women. all fans. many of us learned about baseball and became fans at our father's heels (as I did). the headline and subtitle apply to me, but the article ignores the fact of my existence.

because in MLB world, the way to bond with daughters not through sharing a love of the game, but by "watching cartoons and going to Chuck E. Cheese" with them, the way Twins pitcher Johan Santana reports he bonds with his two daughters. that was the only mention of girl-children in the whole article.

I'm going to write an indignant letter. you should too.

it's really making me see red.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well spotted. I was also annoyed by that article since it was my mom who taught me to love baseball. I thanked her for it on mother's day.