Thursday, June 7, 2007

losing perspective

I'm sitting here, watching the Mets (maybe, probably) be swept by Philadelphia and lose their fourth in a row. The Mets bullpen, basically perfect all season, has lost it for three games in a row. The Phillies bullpen, which has been sucking eggs all year, has held the Mets scoreless throughout this series. It's like living in Bizarro World, and I don't like it.

so I did what I usually do when I'm losing perspective (on anything, really)-- I called my dad.

"I'm worried, Daddy. Dropping four in a row in early June is not good."
"Honey, with a third of the season over, they were 18 games over 500. Do you really think this team is going to win 102 games this season?"
"Well, no, I guess not."
"Remember, every good team has three bad weeks and every bad team has three good weeks. And our whole outfield was out for a week, and is still playing at 1/3 strength."
"But four in a row!"
"With half the team on the DL. And the good news is that the starters have been great."
"But the bullpen!"
"Every good team has three bad weeks."

and I felt better, even though we were about to drop our fourth straight.

No comments: