Saturday, September 8, 2007

an annoying sign and another gorgeous baby

this billboard is on the Grand Central Parkway, past LaGuardia, heading for the Tri-Boro bridge. (important note to my parents and husband: traffic was not moving when I took this shot, and I threw the car into park to take it.) note that this is in Queens, less than five miles from Shea Stadium, and then check out the uniform of the guy in the middle, the focal point and biggest figure on the billboard.


That's right, it's the other New York short stop. His team wasn't even winning the wild card when this sign went up, while the Mets have been in first place in their division since May! I suppose I ought to be happy that they deigned to put David Wright up there at all, but why is he the same size as David Ortiz?! Seems to me they're saying that in NYC, Ortiz is as big a star as Wright, which is a joke. At least Smoltz is smaller than the rest of the guys on the sign.



when I finally made it to the city, I had the pleasure of meeting our other new cousin. we all enjoyed meeting E and seeing his parents and grandparents, and SJG was not surprised as she was holding him to see that he was very interested in the Mets game on the television. His dad and grandpa saw Gooden and Strawberry when they were in Single-A ball in Lynchburg in the 80's, which I find indescribably cool.

No comments: