Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Boomball

This article in the current New York Magazine is all about how the Yankees look a lot like the image of New York that crashed last fall along with the American banking system. The article builds on a feeling about the Yanks that I've long held; they're the team that represents the richest, most outlandishly displayed wealth that is New York for many people who live here and even more who don't. There is a sense of entitlement that surrounds the Yankees and their fans, one that says that any loss is unjustified, and that a whole nine years without a pennant is beneath them. All in all, I don't like the way the Yankees personify New York.

My New York has as many Latinos on the field as Anglos (often more), a black man managing the team, and another Latino as GM. My New York is proud of its talent but not impressed by it. My New York is the one David Wright, Johan Santana, Ryan Church, and Brian Schneider are happy to call home. My New York is one in which Jose Reyes is as important to the future of the team as David Wright is. Yes, the Mets have a heavy payroll too. Never the less, the people who root for the Mets, and the people the Mets choose to employ, say a lot about the New York that is my home.

No comments: