Tuesday, March 24, 2009

responding to a prompt

I was asked a while back to post some thoughts about ARod's most recent debacle. I haven't, mostly because I don't have any original thoughts about *this* debacle. I think the same of Rodriguez now as I did before I knew he did steroids: this is a teenager in an extraordinarily talented adult's body. He's been treated as though rules don't apply to him for most of his life, because of that talent. It's not at all surprising that he took drugs when everyone else was, too.

Though I won't actually say that I feel badly for ARod, I do recognize in him a deeply talented, deeply hurting guy. He wants to be liked and has no idea how to go about doing that-- his social instincts are all off, and yet he follows them. For me, the truly sad part is that he would have been among the best baseball players ever without drugs. He's tainted that legacy, which is too bad-- because in the end, baseball talent may be all the man has.

No comments: