Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Puerto Rico vs. USA

Remember when I said that I'm not watching the WBC?

That ended last night, when USA had a must-win game against Puerto Rico. It was straight up weird watching David Wright up against a team with los Carlos (Beltran and Delgado). Though I found myself rooting for PR for most of the night, I can't help but root for David Wright when he's playing. He's the face of my team, and he had a great night.

More than a great night. Wright had an heroic night. There was a dogpile on the field when he drove in the winning run against Puerto Rico, which is not something one is used to seeing in March. That kind of smile on David's face isn't something one is used to seeing in March. David getting an RBI by getting Jimmy Rollins across the plate and Derek Jeter starting the dogpile on Wright, because they're all playing for the same team? Surreal. Not something one expects to see, ever. In a winter of many inspiring moments, this was definitely among them. Perhaps it has something to do with what happened in our electoral politics this winter, perhaps it doesn't at all. But for me, the outpouring of love from a Yankee and Phillie to a guy who plays for the Mets was another moment when I felt proud of my country. It's a new one. I like it.

No comments: