Friday, February 13, 2009

Noble on Shea

I've mentioned before that I generally agree with Marty Noble, enjoy his writing, and especially love his answers to fan's questions. And like most of the press and a lot of Mets fans, he didn't expect to feel any nostalgia for Shea. Because I'm a bit of a nostalgia freak, I expected to feel something at some point, but it didn't really hit me until the last game I went to there, the second-to-last of the season and among the most beautiful (if not THE most beautiful) games Johan Santana has ever thrown. In fact, it didn't even hit me until I was pulling up to the Shea station on the LIRR.


But it did hit me. Shea, for all it's faults (and there were many), is the only place the Mets have played in my lifetime, the field on which they've won both their World Series pennants. It's where I went to my first baseball game; it's where I've had so many happy times with my father and the rest of my family. And as much as I am looking forward to Citi, I know I'll miss Shea.

As it turns out, it took much longer to hit Marty Noble than it did me that he would fell nostalgia for the old stadium, and writes about it nicely today.

No comments: