Saturday, February 7, 2009

Yet more to celebrate


Alexis just bought a 15-pack for Citi Field this season. Yipee!! Though I won't get to go to all of them with her, I'm so excited to spend time at Citi with her at all this summer as well as to watch games at home; my plan is to teach her not only how to score, but also how to love good pitching.

I've lived with someone who found my bodily excitement at the game-- the fist pumping and cheering when something good happened onscreen-- really annoying. I'm no shrink, but because he had a hard time feeling anything deeply, I think he was annoyed by how deeply I was able to feel about a simple* baseball game-- to care about something over which I have no control. To me-- and to my friends and family who are real fans-- that's the beauty of it. It's a romantic notion, really, to invest in something over which you have no control.

Alexis cheers and pumps fists and slaps hands and generally gets excited by what happens in a baseball game we're watching at the stadium or on television. So matter what happens on the field in 2009, I'm going to enjoy this season with Alexis a great deal.

*"Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona."
--George F. Will, Men at Work: The Craft of Baseball, 1990

No comments: