Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Which team am I going to root for in the World Baseball Classic?

I've been struggling with this question since I realized the second WBC was happening this year. Given the floor I grew up on, the building and neighborhood I grew up in, I would be equally comfortable rooting for the Puerto Rican, Cuban and Dominican Republic teams. Which one to go with has never been an obvious choice.

But then this week it came out that Edgardo Alfanso, our beloved Fonzie, is going to play for Venezuela. That sealed the deal for me, even without Santana pitching for the team.

I'm rooting for Venezuela, and am very much looking forward to the WBC, which starts in 12 days. I've come around to the idea that the WBC is nothing but good for baseball as an entity, and I hope it promotes the fandom around the world that is it's intent.

No comments: