Saturday, May 26, 2007

keeping tabs

I've decided to keep track of whether the Mets or Yankees get the lead story in the local press, both television and print. Click on the link to see the spreadsheet.

Here's how it works: the team that was the first story on the evening news and the team that was the story on the back page of the two local tabloids (the New York Daily News and the New York Post) gets 1 point, and the team that was second gets two.

as a result, the team with the lower score is the one that gets more headlines and lead stories in the local NYC press.

I've already had two outlier situations-- one in which both the front and back page of the Post was about the Yankees (in which case I gave the Yankees no points at all, rather than the 1 they'd record if they were just the back page story, and the Mets their usual 2 as the second story), and one in which the front page was about the Yanks and the back page about the Mets (in which case I gave both the Mets and Yanks a 1 as the lead story).

I'll update as I make appropriate adjustments, but I'm sure this spreadsheet will prove LHJ's and my theory that the NYC sports press usually leads with the Yanks, no matter what is happening with either NY team.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hear, hear. I agree 100%. If the Yanks lose, win, are in first or last, they seem to lead the news everyday. It's shame.