Friday, May 18, 2007

putting the band back together

Game 40: Cubs 5, Mets 4
26-14 for the season


the day started out poorly for me, with my stomach being messy, which meant I wasn't able to get to Shea until a little after noon, at which time it was too late to get onto field level with my nose-bleed ticket. though I walked the length of the park on the next level up looking for my dad down in the orange seats, I was unsuccessful. I guess we'll have to try again later in the season.





this must have been a give-away at some point in the last 15 years. it was pretty cute to see a grown man carrying it.





though I wasn't able to get onto field level, I did spy Willie having a conversation with some folks out the side of the dugout 45 minutes or so before game time.






the field was messed up by the rain yesterday and then the playing on soggy ground, so the choir that sang the National Anthem was forced to do it on the dirt.

our seats were where I usually sit, in the upper deck as close to home as possible. SRL and I were there when the game started, but when KJB showed up he was really freaked out by the height. rather than force KJB to look away from the game the whole time, we set out to find seats closer to the field.






after being kicked out of the Lodge boxes all the way in right field, we settled in the back of the section, a little closer to 1st base. I remembered why so many people think of Shea as a crappy ballpark-- in most of the Mezzanine and all of the Lodge sections, the overhang means you lose sight of the ball when it goes up in the air. since I normally sit in the upper deck, I don't face that problem, and so have great sight lines and not many complaints about the stadium.

we missed a little more than a half-inning before getting settled again, which caused me to stop scoring the game entirely-- missing so much made it seem futile. I'm now a bit sorry I stopped-- it would have been fun to get the bottom of the 9th down-- but it doesn't really matter. it was the first time I'd been to a game in a loooooong time with folks who aren't really invested in baseball, and so it seemed better to hang out with them than to cling to my desire to score the game.






Carlos Gomez, just a bit older than 21, is having the time of his life in the show. He'd picked up his first two RBIs the night before.



BFFs for more than half our lives: we've been having so much fun putting the band back together since they both moved back to NY last summer.

at the end of the 8th, it was looking like the Mets were going to lose 5-1, and SRL had to head back to the city for a work function. KJB and I moved down to the boxes at that point, and so were in a great position to see David Wright get a hit and an RBI in his first major league appearance as a pinch-hitter ever, and to watch Carlos Delgado hit the ball that drove in the winning run of the game. it did look as the ball was moving off of Delgado's bat and toward right field that it was going to be an out, but the Cubbies second baseman dove for it and missed...



...and the crowd went wild!

the team was too excited by the awesome win to do any kind of formal lineup-- the jumped all over each other and then off the field. it was the perfect way to end the last game before the Yanks come to Queens this weekend.




later on that night, after a yummy dinner and lots of fun hanging out with my cousins and their awesome partners, JRG and I rested up for the excitement of the weekend series against the Yankees. her papa is pretty excited about this series... his mom kept teasing him last night that you could say "M, how's the baby?" and he would say, "the Mets are going to bury the Yanks this weekend!" which may be true, but in fairness, he'd be saying it right after having given his daughter the perfect swaddle and while cooking dinner for all of us.