Saturday, May 19, 2007

winning in the rain

Game 42: Yankees 7, Mets 10
28-14 for the season

we watched the beginning of this game on mlb.com Game Day, the middle at a bar, and the end on the radio going downtown. we parked just as Wagner started pitching to Matsui, and with one out already recorded, I decided that if the Mets blew the lead, I didn't want to hear it happen.

and thank goodness I got out of the car, because that final Yankee run and the two men on base when the game ended would have frayed my nerves more than it turned out to be worth. Billy Wagner has pitched perfectly so far this year for a closer, in that he has yet to give up the lead or let the game tie up, but the Yankees have been his achillies heel, and it looked for a little while there in the 9th like they might come back into the lead against Wagner once again. despite a crazy throw to home plate, though, he did his job and ended the game.

but perhaps the best news of the day is that David Wright had two homers, 4 RBIs, and was intentionally walked three times. way to come out of a slump, kid. we're all proud of you.

you have to feel for the rookie pitcher who broke his finger on Endy Chavez's hit in the first inning, and now is out for at least three months. but I can't bring myself to feel for the Yankees as a whole, not while Torre is still saying stupid shit like "I'm happy with how we played, just unhappy with the final score."

I'm just working to control my urge to bring a broom to tomorrow night's game.