Monday, May 7, 2007

overidentification

Game 31: Mets 4, Giants 9
19-12 for the season

I feel for Oliver Perez. a lot. He really didn't pitch all that badly-- really not badly at all. until the awful 5th inning, he'd pitched really well. he went through the lineup in order the first time through, and though he allowed a lead-off hit in the 4th, he also had his first strikeout in the 4th. that might have been the issue, actually, that he wasn't throwing strikeouts-- except that it also kept his pitch count very low going into the 5th.

in reality, very few pitchers can withstand back to back errors followed by yet another blown call by Bruce FREAKING Froming (particularly one that costs two runs). Ollie was obviously upset with himself for the awful inning, and I don't blame him. I understand how he feels. It's hard sometimes to be either nearly perfect or totally awful and never a shade of gray in between.


when I was a girl, I hated west coast trips because I wasn't able to stay up to see the games. now that I'm an adult and work most weekday evenings and am an insomniac, west coast trips are a highlight of my spring and summer. they mean I can watch the whole game even on nights when I work, which feels like a special treat.

I celebrated the treat by scoring the game and taking some notes on watching it. as usual, you can see the homemade scorecard and my notes more clearly if you click on the picture. in fact, you'll see all the notes I took about the game, many of which I have not reported in this post. that's mostly because it's late and I'm tired, and I'm hoping to weave a lot of the notes I didn't relate into another post. but hell, isn't blogging about being transparent with the process?!



Mets scorecard. They stranded 10 base runners over the course of the game. It's hard to do that and win.



Giants scorecard. it's not complete (I did have to go to the bathroom a couple of times), but the 5th is brutal.

No comments: